Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hurricane Ike is coming! Is it bad that I am excited? I am infatuated with weather!





Well we won't know what the storm will do until it happens. I understand this, and we are prepared for it. I am actually looking forward to seeing what happens. I know this might sound bad, but I am not meaning it to be. I am saddened that there will be so much devastation, but I also understand that what I need to do is pray.

My family is under mandatory evacuation so it is close to me. Most of them are in Austin now so my grandmother will be close to a hospital. My two youngest brothers and a few animals are coming to our house tonight. The kids are very excited their uncles are coming! 

Today I spent the day getting a few last things together and taking my camera along with me while I did. This is a little of what getting ready for a hurricane looks like...



Rodney doesn't like to be without electricity, so we waited in line for a generator at Home Depot. 


While Rodney was doing that, I took some pictures of the lines at the gas station. 


Here is another shot of the other side of the same station.

Here is westbound 290 at 2pm on a Thursday. You may not know this, but all that traffic means that something is up!

Here is my honey humoring me for a picture. He was really laughing at me because I looked like a dork. :)

This line may look bad, but oh my goodness!! I can't begin to tell you what  GREAT job Home Depot did for this storm!!! Everything was so well organized!! We spent only 1hr 18min in line and that was time for them to unload the truck, organize the generators, and I was at least 60 back in line!!


The generators were well guarded!


That is our generator there on the right. Yippee!!!


They actually let me sneak back for a quick picture! I felt very special...just like I was one of the Home Depot team!! :)



Well, I will be taking as many pictures as I can as long as things are safe. I will post again as soon as I can!

5 comments:

Anna said...

Love all the pics...such LONG lines.

Praying you'll all be safe!!!

Anna

Andrea said...

Lisa - I'm scared for you and I and my kids will be praying for you and yours...

How close are you to Galveston?????

Your pix were WAY interesting to me ... a Midwestern-ite who's NEVER been close to a Hurricane!

Tornado's...yes...Hurricanes...neva!!!

Andrea

Lisa Johnson said...

We are about 50 miles inland, so we are only expected to get tropical storm force winds. We'll see though. That is the exciting thing about weather to me. It is unpredictable!

Andrea said...

Okay...I'm glad to know you are 50 miles inland. phew.

But I bet it's going to a very interesting 24 hours for you...

TAKE PICTURES!!!! (like anyone needs to tell YOU to do that!)

Oh - Is Crista in your same area? Or is she closer to the coast??

Andre

Lisa Johnson said...

I will most certainly be taking pictures!! :)

Crista is in my neighborhood. (she used to be right across the street!) :( Not anymore though. She had plans to go to her moms this weekend, so they went ahead and left. She is far out of harms way for this one.